The Fallopian tubes are a part of female reproductive system. They are also called ovarian ducts or oviducts. It leads from the ovaries to the uterus of the female mammals. Their chief function involves passage of egg cells from ovaries to the uterus. Once your doctor identifies a Fallopian tube blockage immediate medications or surgery needs to be adhered to the patient.
CAUSES OF FALLOPIAN TUBE BLOCKAGE
Fallopian tubes can get blocked when adhesions form after the body undergoes a healing event due to surgery and infections. Women that have undergone PID (pelvic inflammatory diseases) or chlamydiaare at increased risk of developing adhesions. Some other factors that lead to fallopian tube blockage are-
- Tubal ligation removal
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Uterine fibroids
- Complications from lower abdominal surgery such as Caesarean section.
- Genital Tuberculosis (common in India)
ALSO READ : 7 Common Causes of Irregular Periods
SYMPTOMS OF FALLOPIAN TUBE BLOCKAGE
- Pelvic pains- This disease can cause scarring or hydrosalpinx.
- Painful intercourse- Intercourse with your partner can be assisted with tremendous pain in pelvic region.
- Severe abdominal pain- It’s one of the major symptom that should not be confused with other diseases.
- Past ectopic pregnancy- this may lead to scar in the fallopian tubes.
- Fibroid growth- Once these fibroids attach themselves to the fallopian tubes, it leads to blockage and tremendous pain.
- Painful urination- Blockage of fallopian tubes exerts critical pressure on them during urination that leads to painful urination.
- The blockage of the fallopian tubes do not allows the zygote formation that leads to infertility.
TREATMENT OF FALLOPIAN TUBE BLOCKAGE
ALSO READ : Ectopic Pregnancy, Symptoms, and Treatment
Owing to its location and severity fallopian blockages are of different types. Doctors may recommend you with medications is the symptoms are detected at an earlier stage or may suggest you to go under a surgery which is a permanent relief from the problem. However, these are some of the latest techniques used by the fertility doctors-
- POTENT DRUG MEDICATION- In case of single tubal blockage fertility experts prescribes potent drugs to enhance their chances of ovulating on the side where tube is open.
- HYSTEROSALPINGOGRAPHY (HSG) – It is a type of X-ray technique to examine the fallopian tube by introducing a dye inside the tube so that the X-ray results are prominent. If HSG doesn’t works then the patient has to go under laparoscopy.
- LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY- In case of double tubal blockage, laparoscopic surgery is the most preferable option to overcome such problems. The surgery either clears the blockage or rips affected tissues.
- IVF – IVF is the most effective treatment for blocked fallopian tubes and often the last resort for patients who wish to over this malady and get pregnant.
Blocked Fallopian tubes are one of the major causes of infertility today. Different types of surgical, pharmaceutical and even herbal treatments are available at your doorsteps. If you suffer for many of the symptoms of Fallopian tube blockage don’t hesitate to consult your doctor. Once you have the diagnosis and location/severity of the blockages it will be easier to determine which route to take.