HOW DOES BLOCKAGE OF FALLOPIAN TUBES CAUSE FEMALE INFERTILITY?
Fallopian tubes are reproductive organs and the narrow ducts in female body which connect the ovary to the uterus. During ovulation period which occurs in the middle of the menstrual cycle, the egg which is released from the ovary meets with the sperm in the fallopian tubes. If an egg is fertilized by sperm, it come back to uterus for implantation through fallopian tube.
However, blockage of fallopian tube prevent the passage for sperm to reach to the eggs and also prevent the path back to the uterus to carry a fertilized egg from ovary. This prevention of passage prevent the conception to happen and lead to infertility in females.
The common cause for blockage in fallopian tubes comprises of Scars tissues, infection through sexually transmitted diseases or other infections etc.
Signs of blocked fallopian tubes:
- Majority of women don’t know about blockage of fallopian tube until they find difficulty in conceiving and get the fertility test done.
- In some cases you might experience mild or regular pain in one side of abdomen which generally happens due to enlargement of fallopian tube blockage.
- Endometriosis can also increase the risk of blockage in fallopian tube and you might experience irregular, longer or painful periods.
Effects of Blockage in Fallopian Tubes on female fertility:
- Blockage of fallopian tubes is one of the major cause and common cause of female infertility. It prevents the passage and prevents the egg to join with the sperm.
- Pregnancy is impossible if both the tubes are blocked. However, if fallopian tubes are partially blocked, pregnancy might be possible, but it increases the risk of an ectopic pregnancy.
Diagnosing and Treatment of a blocked fallopian tube:
An X-ray type known as ‘Hysterosalpingography (HSG)’ is used to see inside the fallopian tubes to diagnose blockages. In this X-Ray, doctors used certain type of Dye which helps to see the doctor more clearly inside your uterus and fallopian tubes. If any scar tissues or adhesions are causing the blockage in fallopian tubes, doctors would perform laparoscopic surgery to clear the blockage.
In most of the cases laparoscopic surgery could be effective and can improve the fertility by removing blockage. However, in some cases, if surgery is not possible doctors might recommend in vitro fertilization treatment to conceive. If you ever started facing symptoms of Endometriosis or symptoms that are mentioned above, it is always advised to visit the doctor to get the medication on time for treatment.