Adenomyosis is a condition which occurs in the uterus. The inner lining of the wall of the endometrium pushes out which causes this condition.
This is a very harmful condition which causes painful period. The menstrual cycles become heavier and causes pain in the lower abdominal muscles. Usually, this condition occurs in the age group of 30 to 35 years. Adenomyosis can either be at one place in the body or could also spread throughout the uterus causing lots of pain.
What are the causes of Adenomyosis?
Thereason why this disease occurs has not been yet known by the well-known doctors and physicians. However, the women who go through the following things do have the highest possibility of having Adenomyosis accordingly.
- Women who have a caesarean section
- Tubular ligation
What are the specific symptoms of Adenomyosis?
Some of the most common symptoms of Adenomyosis is as follows:
- Lower abdominal pain at unusual times
- Pelvic pain during sexual intercourse
- Too much bleeding
- Blood clots releasing from the vagina
- Bleeding which occurs for more than a week or so.
These symptoms might vary from person to person and often the women who suffers from Adenomyosis might not show these symptoms at all.
Diagnosis of Adenomyosis
The physician might process an USG test for the abdominal part of the woman. However, only an USG might not be the exact proof of the person having Adenomyosis. But, the USG might bring out the symptoms of having Adenomyosis to some extent.
Along with an USG, sonohysterography is also done which gives out the exact proof of the patient suffering from Adenomyosis. MRI is the investigation of choice for Adenomyosis.
During sonohysterography, a saline solution is injected into the patients’ body which in turn helps the doctor to get a better read of the patient’s endometrium.
Treatment procedures of Adenomyosis
The treatment procedure for Adenomyosis varies from person to person and since it is in the case of women, the doctor needs to know whether the patient has any surgical history. However, in the cases of mild symptoms, medication might help to lessen down the pain in the abdominal region.
Some of the treatment procedures are as follows:
- Anti-inflammatory medicines: The doctor would give you some specific medications which would ultimately help the patient to overcome the pain during the time of their period.
- Uterine artery embolization: this is a surgical process where tiny particles are used to block off the excessive blood flow which occurs if the patient has Adenomyosis.
- Endometrial ablation: this is a very unique process which occurs when the Adenomyosis has not become much of a severe case and has not reached the endometrial muscles too deeply. The pain relieving is much soothing during this procedure.
- Hysterectomy: If the family is complete.
- Hormone therapy