Body Mass Index is the value obtained by dividing a person’s weight in kg by the square of their height in meters. It is often abbreviated as BMI. It quantifies the amount of fat, muscle, and bone in an individual’s body. Although BMI is not a completely reliable factor reliable for determining fatness of a person a low BMI indicates that a person is underweight whereas a high BMI indicates a certain level of obesity.
CLASSIFICATION OF BMI:
- If the BMI is less than 18.5 the person is considered underweight.
- If the BMI is somewhere in between 18.5 and 24.9 the person has a normal weight.
- If the BMI is between 25.0 to 29.9 then the person is overweight.
- If the BMI is between 30.0 to 34.9 then the person is suffering from class 1 obesity.
- If the BMI is between 35.0 to 39.9 then the person is suffering from class 2 obesity.
- If the BMI is greater than 40 then the person is suffering from class 3 obesity.
Keeping in mind the health of the donor, surrogate and the child, the doctors have set BMI limits to eliminate the following risks.
- Gestational diabetes
- ectopic pregnancy
- Pregnancy hypertension
- cycle cancellation
- Hindrance in obtaining accurate ultrasounds because of increased fatty tissues
- Abnormalities in the fetus
- spontaneous miscarriage
- multiple births
Although this kind of limits may seem harsh, they are set for ensuring everyone’s well-being and avoid potential complications. For example, if the donor is overweight it may affect the quality of the egg and higher doses of stimulation drugs will be required for the creation of follicles. Moreover, the expectant parents have to bear additional costs for medications. Therefore, BMI for the egg-donors should be under 28.
There is a BMI criterion that the surrogate applicants have to meet. A surrogate should have less than or equal to 33 BMI. Some doctors may also consider a BMI up to 35 in some cases. Women who are underweight and have a BMI which is less than 19 can take about four times longer to conceive and one with a BMI higher than 35 can take twice as long to conceive as a woman with an appropriate BMI. If you are looking for an IVF center in India that is best for surrogacy and sperm bank then Rana Fertility Centre is your best stop.