WHAT IS Transvaginal Ultrasonography?
An ultrasound tests utilizes high-frequency sound waves to create images of patient’s internal organs. Transvaginal refers to “through the vagina”. A transvaginal ultrasound is used to doctor to examine female reproductive organs. Unlike a regular pelvic ultrasound, during transvaginal ultrasound, the ultrasound wand rests on the outside of pelvis. The procedure involves your doctor to insert an ultrasound probe about two to three inches inside your vaginal canal.
When a transvaginal ultrasound is required?
There are different reasons which necessitate having a transvaginal ultrasound, which include:
• An ectopic pregnancy (when fetus implants outside the uterus, generally in the fallopian tubes)
• Unexplained vaginal bleeding
• An abnormal abdominal or pelvic exam
• For placement of Intrauterine device (IUD)
• Checking for uterine fibroids or cysts
• Pelvic pain
Many a times, physician recommends a transvaginal ultrasound during pregnancy to:
• Identify any sources of abnormal bleeding
• Examination of placenta for any type of abnormalities
• Look at the cervix for any changes that could lead to premature delivery or other complications
• Monitor the heartbeat of fetus
What happens during a transvaginal ultrasound?
During the procedure, you will lie down on the examination table with your feet in stirrups. Your physician will use a condom to cover the ultrasound wand and using lubrication gel, the wand will be inserted into the vagina. Once the wand has been placed, it will suspend sound waves that will bounce off your internal organs to provide inside pictures of pelvic to your physician’s monitor. The physician will slowly move the wand around while it is still inside your body. This helps to offer a comprehensive picture of your internal organs for variety of purposes.
A transvaginal ultrasound helps to diagnose different conditions, including but not limited to:
• Pelvic infection • Miscarriage • Fetal birth defects • Placenta previa • Fibroids • Cysts • Cancer • Ectopic pregnancy
Transvaginal Ultrasonography at Rana Hospital
We at Rana Fertility Centre offer multitude of solutions for varied types of infertility problems. Our primary objective is to serve the patients with quality care and treatment after understanding their concerns and analysing treatment options. Dr. Vijaydeep Kaur at Rana Hospital is Chief Gynecologist and Infertility Specialist with extensive experience in treating patients from India and abroad. At Rana Hospital, we offer you one-stop solution for all infertility problems.
To seek answers to any queries or to seek a personalized consultation, feel free to get in touch with us at +91-98151-52252 or (+91) 161 4610923
we’ ve built a long standing relationship based on trust